- What are Webhooks?
- How to configure Webhooks
- How to edit/delete Webhooks
Restriction: You need to be signed in using an administrator's account in order to configure webhooks.
User Menu > Settings > Configuration Options > API > Webhooks
What are Webhooks?
Webhooks are automated messages sent from applications when something happens. They have a message which is sent to a unique URL - which is essentially the application's phone number or address.
As an example, let's look at text notifications. Say, you want to be notified by your bank through a text message when you make a new purchase – you provide the bank with your phone number, so they know where to send the message. Then, once you make a purchase, a message will be created by the bank and sent to your phone number.
In this case, the bank is the webhook, your phone number is the webhook endpoint, and the content of the text is the automated message.
Using webhooks, Canto can send automated messages to external webhook endpoints.
These endpoints can be URLs provided by a third party application or your own custom built application.
These messages are triggered based on certain actions for an asset in the Canto main library.
Uploading a new asset, deleting an asset, updating asset metadata, adding a new asset version, when an asset version is set to current.
Note: You are able to set up multiple webhooks for the same event type.
How to configure Webhooks
- To configure a webhook within your account, navigate to Settings > ConfigurationOptions > API > Webhooks.
There are seven available triggers:
- New Asset - When a new asset is uploaded to the library.
- Update Metadata - When an asset's tags, keywords, a description, etc. are added/removed/changed.
- Delete Asset - When an asset is deleted from the library.
- Add New Version - When a new version of an asset is added to the library.
This event can also be used to create a webhook that is triggered when a version is set to current.
- Relate Files - When a new set of assets is related.
- Assign to Album - When an asset is assigned to another album.
- Remove from Album - When an asset is removed from an album.
Webhook URLEnter the incoming webhook endpoint URL here.
Secure TokenIf the incoming webhook URL requires a token for authentication, enter the token here.
In case the URL does not require authentication, you can simply place the value "null" in the box.
Content TypeChoose the type of message to be sent to the webhook URL.
ParametersCheck the box for the parameters of the asset to be sent over to the webhook URL.
- Once all the necessary fields have been filled out, go ahead and click Add.
Note: You can add multiple webhooks for the same event type. Make sure to setup the whole webhook configuration multiple times - not only the endpoint URL.
How to edit/delete Webhooks
To edit a previously setup webhook, select the pencil icon to the right of it-
To delete a previously setup webhook, select the trash icon to the right of it-