- What is Cold Storage?
- Who can move files into Cold Storage?
- How to upload assets directly into Cold Storage?
- Who can restore files from Cold Storage?
- Video Guide: How to store and restore files in Cold Storage
- How to find your Cold Storage files?
Note: You will need to reach out to your account manager before utilizing the feature.
What is Cold Storage?
Cold Storage is a special storage for assets whose processing has been completed, or which are no longer or rarely needed. Assets that are in the Cold Storage are still visible in the library (for administrators and contributors), but their use is restricted. For example, a direct download is no longer possible; instead, such assets must be requested for download separately.
Note: Assets that are moved to the Cold Storage permanently lose their older versions! This means that the old versions are lost even after the file has been restored from your Cold Storage.
As long as an asset is in the Cold Storage, no new versions can be added.
Cold Storage is a feature where users can archive and preview files and can bring the assets back out. Users typically store files in Cold Storage if they don’t need the file on a daily basis.
Who can move files into Cold Storage?
Admin-level users would have default access to move assets into Cold Storage. Contributor-level users are required to have the corresponding Privilege (Settings > Users & Groups > Privileges > Contributor).
- Select the files by clicking on the upper right-hand corner of the file icon. A checkmark will designate that it will have been selected.
- Click the Move to Cold Storage icon in the upper-right corner.
- The following pop-up will appear. Please note the functionality that will be lost once an asset is moved into Cold Storage. The status will remain the same when an asset is moved to and from Cold Storage. Go ahead and select Proceed.
How to upload assets directly into Cold Storage?
During the upload process of files, a dialog box will appear. Scroll down to the Store In section where you can select where the asset is stored. To make sure the option appears in the Metadata Editor go to Settings > Configuration Options > Custom Configuration > Metadata Editor and add the Store In section.
Thumbnails of assets that have been moved to the Cold Storage or uploaded directly to the Cold Storage are marked with a snowflake icon in the upper left corner.
Who can restore files from Cold Storage?
Admin-level users would have default access to move assets out of Cold Storage. Contributor-level users would be able to use the Cold Storage features by enabling the feature in Privileges in Settings. Consumers can request an asset to be restored by following the steps below:
- Hover over the asset.
- Select the snowflake icon on the bottom of the asset.
- A pop-up will appear and ask if you would like to restore the asset and a link will be sent to you when the restore process is complete. Select, Continue.
Note: It does take time for assets to be restored from the Cold Storage.
Video Guide: How to store and restore files in Cold Storage
How to find your Cold Storage files?
- Go to the top right-hand corner and select the Filter icon.
- Select the Storage drop-down menu.
- Select Cold Storage and Canto will bring up all your files in Cold Storage.